FIU Web best practices – Part 1 : General site tips
I am going to go over a number of best practices for FIU sites the topics will include:
- General site tips
- Site content
- Site security
General site tips
All University Websites Should Contain the Following Minimum Requirements:
- The University’s complete name — Florida International University — on the website.
- An “FIU Home Page” link (http://www.fiu.edu) at the bottom of the site.
- Consistent internal site navigation and include a link to the site’s own home page on every page of the website.
- A contact name with an e-mail address. The designated e-mail recipient should check and answer e-mail sent to this address within a reasonable period. The contact e-mail address may be supplemented by a contact name and/or telephone number. In unusual cases where an e-mail address is unavailable, a contact name and telephone number must be substituted for a contact e-mail address. Generic e-mail addresses should be used in website contact information with more than one person monitoring the website inbox for contacts. Departments / units should develop appropriate standards for responding to website e-mail. A technical or content contact should have the authority to resolve problems reported with respect to a site.
- A faculty or staff member must be designated as holding primary responsibility for each department’s or unit’s website and timely updates of its content.
- All site urls must be registered or updated in the FIU website A-Z index located at http://fiu.edu/atoz
- The date (month, day, year) the material was last updated.
FIU Web Communications is a full service web team that provides support and consulting for departments at FIU. If you need help in implementing any of your web needs, please contact us.
If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing via rss feed or email to have future articles delivered to you.